Chanel is the latest company to do damage control after a racially insensitive incident. In a Lenny essay, Gabby Sidibe recalled an experience where she was shaded by a saleswoman who thought that she didn’t have enough money to shop in the store. The Empire actress says the situation happened while she was attempting to shop at a Chanel store in Chicago.
She wrote, “Just to be sure of what was happening, I made her tell me to leave, in her pretend-polite way, three times. I knew what she was doing. She had decided after a single look at me that I wasn’t there to spend any money. Even though I was carrying a Chanel bag, she decided I wasn’t a Chanel customer and so, not worth her time and energy.” Gabby added that after several of the store’s employees of color recognized the actress, the sour salesperson changed their tune.
Chanel headquarters caught wind of the incident and issued a lengthy apology to the star, saying, “Chanel expresses our sincerest regret for the boutique customer service experience that Ms. Sidibe mentioned in the essay she published on a website. We are sorry that she felt unwelcome and offended. We took her words very seriously and immediately investigated to understand what happened, knowing that this is absolutely not in line with the high standards that Chanel wishes to provide to our customers.”
The luxury brand added, “We are strongly committed to provide anyone who comes in our boutiques with the best customer service, and we do hope that in the future Ms. Sidibe will choose to come back to a Chanel boutique and experience the real Chanel customer experience.”
Sidibe has yet respond the French fashion house’s apology. You can check out her full essay here.
Weekly Birthday Dopeness 5/6/-5/12: Gabourey Sidibe, George Clooney & MORE! (PHOTOS)
1. 1. Gabourey Sidibe will be turning 29 on May 6. Photo Credit: Splash News1 of 10
2. 2. George Clooney will be turning 51 on May 6. Photo Credit: Splash News2 of 10
3. 3. Enrique Iglesias will be turning 36 on May 8. Photo Credit: Splash News3 of 10
4. 4. Rosario Dawson will be turning 33 on May 9. Photo Credit: Splash News4 of 10
5. 5. Billy Joel will be turning 63 on May 9. Photo Credit: Splash News5 of 10
6. 6. Kenan Thompson will be turning 34 on May 10. Photo Credit: Splash News6 of 10
7. 7. Holly Valance will be turning 29 on May 11. Photo Credit: Splash News7 of 10
8. 8. Yogi Berra will be turning 87 on May 12. Photo Credit: Splash News8 of 10
9. 9. Stephen Baldwin will be turning 46 on May 12. Photo Credit: Splash News9 of 10
10. 10. Tony Hawk will be turning 44 on May 12. Photo Credit: Splash News10 of 10
Chanel Apologizes To Gabourey Sidibe After She Wrote About Being Racially Profiled was originally published on globalgrind.com