Listen Live
Stone Soul Vendor Graphics
99.3-105.7 Kiss FM
police tape

Source: Getty

A Virginia State Police Special Agent has died from injuries sustained during a “consensual conversation” in the 1900 block of Redd Street in Richmond’s Mosby Court on Friday night (May 26). The suspect is now in custody. According to NBC12, Special Agent Micheal T. Walter is a father of three and has served on the State Police force for several years. He also coached youth wrestling and has a gym in Powhatan County.

Travis A. Ball, 27, of Richmond, VA was taken into custody without incident by Virginia State Police and U.S. Marshals on May 27 shortly after 6 a.m.

The full press release from Virginia State Police about the incident is below: 

A Richmond man is now in custody following an overnight search by local, state and federal law enforcement across the Metro-Richmond region. The State Police and U.S. Marshals apprehended Travis A. Ball, 27, of Richmond, Va., at a residence in Northumberland County shortly after 6 a.m. Saturday (May 27). He was taken into custody without further incident. Ball is being held without bond on the arrest warrants obtained for him Friday night (May 26) of one count of malicious wounding, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Additional charges are pending.

Ball is charged with shooting Virginia State Police Special Agent Michael T. Walter. Special Agent Walter succumbed to his injuries shortly after 5 a.m. Saturday (May 26) at VCU Medical Center in Richmond, Va.

Special Agent Walter was riding with a City of Richmond Police Officer as part of the ongoing City-State Partnership between agencies. At approximately 7:25 p.m., the Richmond Police Officer and Special Agent Walter observed a silver Chevrolet Cobalt pull up to the curb in the 1900 block of Redd Street. The officer and special agent pulled in behind the Cobalt and walked up to the car to initiate a conversation as part of a consensual encounter. As the Richmond Police Officer was talking with the driver, Special Agent Walter approached the passenger side where Ball was seated. Within moments, a single shot rang out and Ball was running from the car on foot.

The Richmond Police Officer immediately called for medical assistance and ran to Special Agent Walter’s aid. The Richmond Officer was not injured in the shooting.

The driver of the car remained at the scene and was detained by Richmond Police.

A handgun was recovered at the scene near the Chevrolet Cobalt. The investigation by the Virginia State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation’s (BCI) Culpeper Field Office remains ongoing at this time.

Special Agent Walter was assigned to the Virginia State Police BCI Richmond Field Office’s Drug Enforcement Section and routinely partnered with the Richmond Police Department on investigative and patrol operatives.

Immediately following the shooting, a perimeter was established within the neighborhood for the safety of residents, preservation of the crime scene and to search for Ball. For the next 11 hours, law enforcement personnel from the Virginia State Police, Richmond Police, Henrico County Police, Hanover County Sheriff’s Office, FBI, US Marshals Service, DEA and ATF conducted a widespread search effort throughout the Metro-Richmond region. Their investigative efforts and tips from the public ultimately led to Ball’s apprehension in the Northern Neck early Saturday morning.

Mayor Levar Stoney Drops By To Help “Send A Kid To Camp”
SAKTC - Lead
27 photos