In his first 30 days as president, it cost an estimated $10 million just for the president’s three trips to his oceanfront Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach, Florida, the newspaper said.
The government also picked up the tab for his sons’, Eric Trump and Donald Trump Jr., Secret Service security while conducting family business overseas. Meanwhile, local taxpayers are covering the ongoing expense to station police officers outside Trump Tower in Manhattan to protect First Lady Melania Trump and their son Barron, a $500,000 a day expense that New York City taxpayers hope to recoup from the federal government.
Tom Fitton, president of the conservative group Judicial Watch, told the Post that Trump “should recognize” that the way he does business is expensive. A short helicopter ride to the presidential retreat at Camp David in Maryland is far less expensive than jetting to a Florida resort.
“The unique thing about President Trump is that he knows what it costs to run a plane,” Fitton stated.
Trump’s hypocrisy is also glaring. As the Post noted, Trump repeatedly criticized former President Barack Obama for his golf outings and vacations. But Trump is on track to surpass Obama’s travel expenses, estimated at $97 million by Judicial Watch. Based on the first month of his presidency, Trump will stick taxpayers with travel expenses reaching hundreds of millions more than President Obama.
Although Trump stepped down from running his company, he’s still earning money–at the public’s expense. According to the Post, the Department of Defense and Secret Service want to rent space in Trump Tower, where it costs $1.5 million a year to lease a floor.
At the same time, his adult sons are running up the government’s tab while doing family business. The Secret Service spent $5,470 for its agents to stay at a five-star, oceanfront hotel to provide security in the Dominican Republic while Eric Trump met with developers who want to build a Trump resort on the island. And the agency’s hotel bill surpassed $16,000 when Trump’s sons did business in Dubai, the Post reported.
The newspaper also reported that Secret Service and U.S. Embassy staffers paid nearly $100,000 in hotel fees to support Eric Trump’s business trip to Uruguay.
The White House, in an interview with the Post, said the president is working–not vacationing–when he travels to Mar-a-Lago and did not address potential conflicts of interest related to family travels.
SOURCE: Washington Post
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Trump On Track To Surpass Obama In Travel Expenses was originally published on newsone.com