The King of Pop sits at the top by a significant margin, earning over $700 million more than any other celebrity on the list.
According to Forbes, Jacksons’ estate owes a large bulk of its net worth to his investment in the Beatles catalog. Sony paid Jackson $115 million to partake in a 50/50 ownership deal in 1995, and in March Jackson’s estate sold its remaining half to the entertainment conglomerate for $750 million.
Jackson originally purchased the Fab 4 canon in 1985 for $47.5 million. In 2016, the purchase would amount to $140 million.
Other notable Black celebrities included in the top ten: Prince–whose estate earned $25 million in 2016, followed by Bob Marley at $21 million.
See the top ten earners below:
Michael Jackson (d. 2009) — $825 million
Charles Schulz (d. 2000) — $48 million
Arnold Palmer (d. 2016) — $40 million
Elvis Presley (d. 1977) — $27 million
Prince (d. 2016) — $25 million
Bob Marley (d. 1981) — $21 million
Theodor “Dr. Seuss” Geisel (d. 1991) — $20 million
John Lennon (d. 1980) — $12 million
Albert Einstein (d. 1955) — $11.5 million
Bettie Page (d. 2008) — $11 million
SOURCE: Forbes | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Remembering Greatness: The Celebrity Deaths Of 2016
1. Rapper Shawty Lo died in a fiery Atlanta car crash on the morning of Sept. 21.1 of 14
2. Sportscaster John Saunders passed away suddenly at the age of 61 on Aug. 10. The details surrounding his passing are still unclear.2 of 14
3. Actor Gene Wilder, best known for his role in ‘Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory,’ died on Aug. 29 from Alzheimer’s disease.3 of 14
4. Legendary boxer Muhammad Ali passed away on June 3 after a 32-year battle with Parkinson’s.4 of 14
5. Actor Anton Yelchin, best known for his role as Chekov in ‘Star Wars,’ passed away minutes after a June 19 car accident.5 of 14
6. Actor Ron Lester died on Aug. 4 of kidney failure. He was best known for his role in ‘Not Another Teen Movie.’6 of 14
7. ‘The Voice’ star Christina Grimmie was shot dead at 22 years old by a man who opened fire on her while she signed autographs.7 of 14
8. Legendary singer Prince tragically died from an accidental prescription drug overdose on April 21. He was 57-years-old.8 of 14
9. WWF wrestler and actress Chyna died from an accidental overdose of Valium and Ambien on April 20. She was 45 years old.9 of 14
10. ‘Blood, Sweat, & Heels’ reality star Daisy Lewellyn died from a rare form of liver cancer on April 8.10 of 14
11. Singer Denise Matthews, aka Vanity, died from kidney failure at the age of 57 on Feb. 15. She was Prince’s protegée and ex-girlfriend.11 of 14
12. Singer Maurice White passed away on Feb. 3 after battling Parkinson’s disease. He was the founder of R&B group Earth, Wind, & Fire.12 of 14
13. Rock star David Bowie died on Jan. 10 after battling cancer for 18 months. He was 69.13 of 14
14. A Tribe Called Quest rapper Phife Dawg passed away on March 22 due to complications from diabetes. He was 45 years old.14 of 14
The King Of Pop Tops Highest-Paid Dead Celebrity List With $825 Million was originally published on newsone.com