Musician. Songwriter. Producer. Record executive. TV star. Mogul. Author. Over the course of his storied career, Antonio “L.A.” Reid has worn each of these hats and then some.
From his early days as the drummer for R&B group The Deele alongside friend and future business partner Kenny “Babyface” Edmonds, to producing hits for Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston and forming LaFace Records, the label that launched the careers of Usher, TLC, Toni Braxton, Outkast, and more than a few others, L.A. has been able to shape modern music history (and that’s not even including his time as an exec at Def Jam or his current role at Epic).
Whether you know it or not, he’s probably helped shape your musical taste in some way, shape, or form through the years.
Take a look at the gallery below for a timeline of Reid’s phenomenal career, and discover just how he became the force that he is.
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
The Life & Times Of Music Mogul L.A. Reid
1. Essential BeginningsSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. You Know The DeeleSource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Every Little Step He TakesSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. A Big ‘Baby’ of a SuccessSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. LaFace of MusicSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Ushering in the Next GenerationSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. And The Hits Keep ComingSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Boss MovesSource:Getty 8 of 14
9. Fresh to DefSource:Getty 9 of 14
10. Reviving MimiSource:Getty 10 of 14
11. ‘Diamonds’ in the RoughSource:Getty 11 of 14
12. ‘X’ Marks the SpotSource:Getty 12 of 14
13. An Epic ComebackSource:Getty 13 of 14
14. How a Yes Becomes ‘No’Source:Getty 14 of 14
The IN-dustry: L.A. Reid’s Journey To Music Moguldom was originally published on globalgrind.com