Originally slated for today, Officer Caesar Goodson Jr.’s trial over the death of Freddie Gray has been shelved until further notice by a state appeals court.
The appeals court has paused the trial to finish deciding on whether another one of the five other officers that was involved with Gray’s death will have to testify.
Jury selection was to start today for the trial; Goodson is facing the most serious charges that include manslaughter and second-degree depraved-heart murder compared to his colleagues that will be appearing in court in the upcoming months. His charges could land him in jail for 30 years if convicted.
Judge Barry G. Williams has already ordered Officer William Porter, one of Goodson’s fellow officers who has already endured a mistrial over Gray’s death, to testify in this trial. However, Porter’s attorneys have pushed back against the measure and the jury has yet to make a decision on this request. Porter’s testimony could prove highly problematic for Goodson. During his own trial, Porter previously claimed that Goodson refused to stop at a hospital for Gray’s injuries and opted to pick up another prisoner instead. Porter will be going back to court for a second trial after all of the other officers involved in the case have been to court.
It is expected that prosecutors will argue that Goodson punished Gray for running away from the authorities by giving him a dangerous ride in the back of a police van that resulted in Gray’s death.
[SOURCE: USA Today]
14 Times The Media Failed On Its Baltimore Coverage
1. Are We Getting The Real Story?Source:Getty 1 of 10
2. When A Fox Reporter Completely Missed The PointSource: 2 of 10
3. When The Media Was Saturated With Stories Of Destroyed Property; Zero About Destroyed LivesSource:Getty 3 of 10
4. When CNN Defended Its Editorial Decisions Like This ...Source: 4 of 10
5. Then Wolf Blizter Had To Join CNN's Ignorance Party TooSource: 5 of 10
6. When They Blamed This Massive Development Fire On RiotersSource:Getty 6 of 10
7. When They Kept Proclaiming How Residents Were Only Interested In Destroying The CitySource:Getty 7 of 10
8. When They Ran A Million Photos Like ThisSource:Getty 8 of 10
9. But None Like ThisSource:Getty 9 of 10
10. Would They Call This Boy Violent?Source: 10 of 10
Officer Caesar Goodson’s Trial Gets Postponed In Freddie Gray Case was originally published on hellobeautiful.com