There’s absolutely no denying that this has been a crazy year in hip-hop.
Lil Wayne kicked off 2015 by filing a $51 million lawsuit against his longtime mentor, Bryan “Birdman” Williams. Since making that move, everyone from Drake to the cast of Empire has called Cash Money’s head honcho out on not paying his bills. But It didn’t end there.
Weezy’s tour bus was shot up in April. Prosecutors allege that it was Birdman and his protégé, Young Thug, who were conspiring to kill Wayne while he visited Atlanta. On the less gruesome side of things, several other members of the YMCMB crew followed up with lawsuits of their own, most citing unpaid wages. Not to mention, Bow Wow left Cash Money altogether.
We couldn’t foresee the slow death of Birdman’s label, nor did we have any clue beloved rapper Chinx would be gunned down in Jamaica, Queens. A$AP Mob’s founder, A$AP Yams, also left us suddenly and fans, family, and friends mourned his truly shocking and untimely passing.
Things got bad… things got ugly, but there was some good as well. Kendrick Lamar gave the Black Lives Matter movement the fuel it needed with his anthem, “Alright.” Despite many betting against him, Jay Z made waves with his streaming service, TIDAL.
Speaking of streaming, Wiz Khalifa quietly broke two Spotify records with “See You Again.” Of course, there was Drake’s “Hotline Bling” dancing – and Drizzy unleashing his wrath of catchy and lyrical vengeance against Meek Mill was the essence of good, bad, and ugly.
As the most prominent female voice in hip-hop for years on end, Nicki Minaj continued to shine like the King she is, wrapping the year up on a comedic note with the announcement of an upcoming ABC Family series based on her life.
Here is a definitive list of the hip-hop moments we’ll never forget from this year. May our fallen rest in peace.
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty, Apple Music, Splash News
16 Unforgettable Hip-Hop Moments In 2015
1. Yeezus For PresidentSource:Splash News 1 of 14
2. We've got three words for you: "Miley, what's good?!"Source:Getty 2 of 14
3. FOX's hip-hop series "Empire"Source:Getty 3 of 14
4. This was Drake's year.Source:Getty 4 of 14
5. "Love & Hip Hop"Source:GlobalGrind 5 of 14
6. A$AP YamsSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. ChinxSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. TIDALSource:Getty 8 of 14
9. WATTBASource:Splash News 9 of 14
10. YG shot three times after a studio session in Studio City.Source:Getty 10 of 14
11. Kendrick Lamar championed the Black Lives MatterSource:Getty 11 of 14
12. Our favorite hip-hop commercial of the year.Source:Getty 12 of 14
13. "See You Again"Source:Getty 13 of 14
14. Lil Wayne vs. BirdmanSource:Getty 14 of 14
The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly: 16 Unforgettable Hip-Hop Moments From This Year was originally published on globalgrind.com