Amel Larrieux may be a new entrepreneur in the hair industry but it was her unique voice that got her started in music.
As her group Groove Theory’s top 5 classic turns 20 years old (we’re getting old), Amel Larriuex reflects on how that song launched her career. She admits she didn’t know the song would change her life because she had originally written it for someone else.
“You know, it’s one of those things where I really didn’t have a clue that I was doing anything that was going to be pivotal in my career because I wrote that song for a boy group. Actually, I think I wrote it first for Trey Lorenz and he was doing his solo album also on Sony.”
Luckily for fans, Sony, Amel’s record company at the time saw potential in the single for Groove Theory.
“Sony turned around to us and said in the midst of finishing and recording the Groove Theory album ‘We want you to record that song that you wrote for Trey’ and I was like ‘That’s a song for a guy. I didn’t write that for myself.’ It was very black & white. I was like ‘I wrote this song for this purpose and that is it’ and they were like ”yeah we think this is going to be a hit. You should do it.’ So we did and they were right. They put their machine behind it, the Sony machine and it resonated with people. And I just had no idea. ”
While the song has always resonated with fans, Amel initially didn’t feel a connection with the song that people loved hearing.
“It didn’t mean anything to me personally because I really hadn’t written it for myself but what it has done for me is [exactly what you just said to me] which is I live an experience because of that song. It’s in every conversation I have with a person who has related to that song for that many years.
“Instead of being this song that feels so impersonal and I’m trying to sing it and make it mean something, it means something because of the experience I have with the audience who is like jumping out of their skin to sing it with me saying ‘Wow, I remember what I was doing in 95.’ It’s pretty great and it made it possible.”
Sadly, Amel admits that music has been put on hold while she launches her hair care line, but she plans to release an EP in the future. But for now, you can still expect to see Amel Larriuex performing on a stage near you.
Check for Amel Larrieux’s upcoming shows and tour dates here.
Top 50 Natural Hair Products For Black Hair
1. Shea Moisture Strengthen, Grow + Restore ConditionerSource:Courtesy of Walmart 1 of 25
2. Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Curl + Style MilkSource:Courtesy of Walmart 2 of 25
3. Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Sulfate-Free ShampooSource:Courtesy of Walmart 3 of 25
4. Carol's Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey Shine PomadeSource:Courtesy of Walmart 4 of 25
5. Carol's Daughter Hair Milk Leave-In MoisturizerSource:Courtesy of Walmart 5 of 25
6. As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing ConditionerSource:Courtesy of Walmart 6 of 25
7. Organix Moroccan Argan Oil ShampooSource:courtesy of Organix 7 of 25
8. Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In ConditionerSource:Cantu 8 of 25
9. Cantu Shea Butter Twist And Lock GelSource:Cantu 9 of 25
10. Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming ShampooSource:courtesy of Beautiful Textures 10 of 25
11. Beautiful Textures Moisture ButterSource:courtesy of Beautiful Textures 11 of 25
12. Ojon Damage Reverse ShampooSource:courtesy of Ojon 12 of 25
13. Ojon Damage Reverse ConditionerSource:courtesy of Ojon 13 of 25
14. OBIA Curl Hydration SpraySource:OBIA 14 of 25
15. Ouidad Heat and Humidity GelSource:courtesy of Ouidad 15 of 25
16. Ouidad Curl Quencher Moisturizing GelSource:Ouidad 16 of 25
17. Curly Hair Solutions Curl KeeperSource:Curly Hair Solutions 17 of 25
18. Curl Junkie Coffee-Coco Curl Creme LiteSource:Curl Junkie 18 of 25
19. Moroccanoil Hydrating ShampooSource:Moroccanoil 19 of 25
20. Moroccanoil Hydrating ConditionerSource:Moroccanoil 20 of 25
21. Moroccanoil Hair TreatmentSource:Moroccanoil 21 of 25
22. Yarok HairSource:yarokhair.com 22 of 25
23. WEN Chaz Dean Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing ConditionerSource:ChazDean.com 23 of 25
24. Jane Carter Solution All Natural Nourish and Shine for Dry Hair and Dry SkinSource:Jane Carter Solution 24 of 25
25. Pantene Pro-V Truly Natural Hair Co-Wash ConditionerSource:Pantene/Pantene.com 25 of 25
Amel Larrieux Reflects On Groove Theory’s Top 5 Hit ‘Tell Me’ 20 Years Later was originally published on hellobeautiful.com