The role Brandy will be playing!
The name on everybody’s lips is gonna be….Brandy! The angelic voiced singer turned actress is set to make her Broadway debut in Chicago as the lead role of “Roxie Hart.” Brandy has been tapped to play the starring role on Broadway for a limited engagement, starting Tuesday, April 28 and ending Sunday, June 21.
The Grammy winning songstress is no stranger to acting as she starred in her own sitcom (a fave of ours), “Moesha” as well as BET’s “The Game” and she’s even had the pleasure of playing the first Black Cinderella alongside legend and Brandy’s personal hero, Whitney Houston. This obviously gives her all the musical and acting background she needs to kill the game as Roxie.
Set amidst the swanky decadence of the 1920s, Chicago is the story of Roxie Hart, a housewife and nightclub dancer who murders her on-the-side lover after he threatens to walk out on her. Desperate to avoid conviction, she dupes the public, the media and her rival cellmate, Velma Kelly, by hiring Chicago’s slickest criminal lawyer to transform her malicious crime into a barrage of sensational headlines, the likes of which might just as easily be ripped from today’s tabloids.
Chicago currently stars Grammy Award winner Jennifer Nettles as Roxie Hart and Carly Hughes as Velma Kelly through Sunday, March 29 only. Beginning Monday, March 30, Emmy Award nominee Paige Davis begins a 4-week engagement as Roxie Hart (through Monday, April 27) and international stage sensation Amra-Faye Wright returns to the company as Velma Kelly (through Sunday, July 26). Chicago also currently stars Tony Award nominee John Dossett as Billy Flynn, Raymond Bokhour as Amos Hart, NaTasha Yvette Williams as Matron “Mama” Morton and R. Lowe as Mary Sunshine.
Chicago is now the #1 longest-running American musical in Broadway history and Brandy is now a part of this history. Awesome! Black Girls Rock! Who’s coming to see Brandy with us!?
INSTADAILY: 22 Reasons You Should Never Forget Your Love For Brandy
1. We Will Always Love Brandy1 of 23
2. She Still Loves Her Braids2 of 23
3. She Likes To Party!3 of 23
4. She Gets Your Nose4 of 23
5. She Loves Her Family5 of 23
6. She Makes Herself Laugh6 of 23
7. She's Worldly7 of 23
8. She Loves Thursday8 of 23
9. She's Fly In Africa9 of 23
10. She Loves A Close-Up10 of 23
11. She's Artsy11 of 23
12. She's A Daddy's Girl12 of 23
13. She's All About Having A Moment13 of 23
14. She Squats14 of 23
15. She Has "Funners" With Her Friends15 of 23
16. She Likes To Chat With You16 of 23
17. She's Got Her Eye On You17 of 23
18. She Loves A Good Laugh18 of 23
19. She Adores Her Dearest Friends19 of 23
20. She Loves Herself20 of 23
21. She's #Flawless21 of 23
22. She's All About Family, Even New Members22 of 23
23. She Loves King Bey Too!23 of 23
Brandy’s Going To Make Her Broadway Debut As ‘Roxie Hart’ In ‘Chicago’ was originally published on hellobeautiful.com