June 05, 2012 – Style Network personality Kimora Lee Simmons and her actor-model hubby Djimon Hounsou have supposedly decided to end their four year marriage.
E! News reports, sources claim the couple told the New York Daily News that Lee Simmons and Hounsou got into a “big fight over money,” which prompted the split.
“Djimon walked out on Kimora,” said the insider, adding that the decision of ex-husband, hip-hop impresario Russell Simmons, to stop subsidizing her already-lavish lifestyle may have played a part in the matter.
Adding insult to injury, the source claimed “Kimora lives as if she’s the Queen of England.”
The newspaper then noted that Simmons has now put her six-bedroom, eight-bath Beverly Hills home on the market for $4.7 million—well below the $5.9 million she purchase the home for in 2007, according to the Trulia Luxe Living blog.
KLS subsequently took to Twitter to apparently quash suggestions she was in financial straits, though it’s worth noting she didn’t address her relationship with Hounsou specifically.
“Wow, I put 1 of several properties I own (+DON’T live in) on the market & now apparently my whole life is fallin apart?!” Simmons tweeted. “Rumors, rumors…”
Reps for the pair were unavailable or comment.
For his part, Djimon obliquely addressed the subject by retweeting the erstwhile Baby Phat purveyor’s comment on the matter.
Simmons and Hounsou began dating in March 2007 and tied the knot in the summer of 2008. They have a 3-year-old son, Kenzo Lee Hounsou.
UPDATE – June 06, 2012
After the NY Daily News reported that Kimora & Djimon were splitting-up due to fighting over her ex-husband’s money, Kimora’s ex stepped-in set the record straight.
Music mogul Russell Simmons has come to the couple’s defense, posting his response today saying not only has he never given Kimora alimony (so his money is not a factor), KiKi & Djimon are doing just fine.
1. Kimora and Djimon are fine.
2. Kimora and Djimon are both doing extremely well in their respective endeavors and businesses and don’t need to fight over or waste energy on money issues.
3. I damn sure don’t pay nor have I ever paid alimony (Kimora does just fine). In no way do I support their lifestyle, so please don’t say they are fighting over MY money.
4. Yes she’s selling a house, but she hasn’t lived in it for several years since she built the house they currently reside in.
5. As for friction between us? There is none. I feel like I’m part of their family. Djimon and Kenzo are like my blood and Kimora is my best friend. We are partners in various businesses and in the really important business of raising our beautiful children.