Deadline to Vote By Absentee In-Person is Saturday
~ General Registrar Offices Will Be Open Saturday for Absentee Voting ~
RICHMOND, VA – Voters may still apply and vote absentee in-person through Saturday for the November 8 elections.
Voters have through Saturday, November 5 to apply and vote absentee in-person. However, the deadline to apply to vote absentee by mail was November 1. In order to be counted, voted absentee ballots must be received by the time the polls close at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 8.
In order to vote by absentee ballot a voter is required to complete an application listing a qualifying reason. Virginia allows a voter to vote by absentee ballot if they are unable to go to the polls on Election Day for any of the following reasons:
- Student – They are a student attending an educational institution or a spouse of a student attending an educational institution, and they are absent from their locality.
- Caregiver – They are the primary caregiver for a family member confined at home due to disability or illness.
- Business – They will be outside of their locality due to business reasons.
- Confinement in jail – They are awaiting trial or have been convicted of a misdemeanor.
- Personal Business or Vacation – They will be traveling outside their county or city on personal business or vacation.
- Election Official – They are an electoral board member, a Registrar, or an Officer of Election or custodian of voting equipment.
- U.S. Uniformed Services or Merchant Marines – They are on active duty or are the spouse or a dependent of an active duty service member, and they are absent from their locality.
- They are working and commuting to and from home for 11 or more hours during the hours between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.
- Disability or illness
- Temporarily residing outside of the United States or a spouse of someone temporarily residing out of the United States
- Religious obligation
For a complete listing of reasons, please go to: http://www.sbe.virginia.gov/cms/Absentee_Voting/Index.html#WhoMayVoteAbsentee
To accommodate in-person absentee voting or to assist voters by responding to other questions, general registrar offices will be open on Saturday. Voters should check with their local registrar for the exact hours of operation.
Voters can also call to check their polling location or precinct before Election Day. The Virginia State Board of Elections is strongly encouraging voters to check this information before going to vote. Even though a voter may not have moved they may still experience a change. As a result of redistricting, a voter’s polling place, districts, or precinct may have changed.
If people have questions about voting absentee, their voting location, districts, voter registration status, or new voter card, they may contact the State Board of Elections at www.sbe.virginia.gov or 804-864-8901. Citizens may also contact their local voter registration office.
For More Information: