Listen Live
99.3-105.7 Kiss FM

Sly Stone, the former frontman of Sly and the Family Stone says he is trying to stay clean and claims he wants to go to a rehab center.

When a reporter asked Stone if he was currently using drugs or alcohol, Stone was nearly incoherent but said he had not used cocaine or alcohol in a week and a half.

“But I’ll tell you what, I got a uh, a rehab that I’ve chosen, that I’m gonna go… in this van. I can park it next door to this rehab facility and put my studio equipment in it. And if there’s no problem with my music and I’m not drinking…”

Sly Stone sold the rights to most of his songs to Michael Jackson for a paltry $1 million in 1984, and now it seems he’s hoping the Jackson family will help him out in his time of need — despite the fact that they are a little busy with the start of the Conrad Murray manslaughter trial. Murray is accused of causing the death of Michael Jackson.

“I have no doubt that I am going to stop by this rehab facility that I have chosen and I’m ready any time,” he said.

Stone is destitute and in the middle of a $50 million lawsuit against his former manager, who he accuses of stealing his money.

Sly’s financial problems and transient lifestyle were brought to light in 2009, ahead of the release of director Willem Akema’s documentary, “Coming Back for More.”

Though Sly and the Family Stone called it quits in 1975, three of the group’s original members and a few new faces are currently on a world tour as the Family Stone.

“With or without Sly, his music is well received,” original member Cynthia Robinson said in a recent interview with the UK’s Soul Culture. “We try to stick to the original music and writings as close as possible.”

One reporter described Stone as “disheveled, paranoid” and convinced hit men and the FBI had their eyes on him. Though Stone wouldn’t let a reporter inside his camper, he was willing to pose for the Post’s cameras — in front of his Studebaker, wearing a silver helmet and a holding a Taser.

Stone had a simple answer when asked by “Inside Edition” on Monday where things went wrong: “I should have just stayed playing music,” he said.