A Mississippi mother who left her three children in a vehicle that rolled into a creek has been arrested and charged with negligent manslaughter, reports USA Today.
Jenea Monique Payne, 25, was reportedly arrested Monday and charged with two counts of negligent manslaughter and one count of child neglect, according to Leland Assistant Chief of Police Marcus Davis.
According to reports, Payne left her three children — Steve Smith, 4; Raelynn Johnson, 2; and Rasheed Johnson Jr., 1 — asleep in the car while she went inside of a store. She told authorities the car was turned off, but she left the keys in the car. But, according to witnesses the car was in park and running at the time of the incident.
The 4-year-old was in a seatbelt in the front seat while the youngest two children were in carseats in the back, David said. Payne was in the store for “five to 10 minutes.”
Davis said investigators believe the 4-year-old put the keys in the ignition, turned the car on and put it in neutral, causing it to roll into the creek.
“We’ll look into it further,” he said.
Payne was charged for the children’s deaths, Davis said, because “she ended up leaving three minors unattended for a length of time when she went into a store. That’s illegal in itself. That was part of the negligence that led ultimately to their deaths.”
Payne bonded out of jail Monday afternoon, Davis said. The bond amount was not immediately available. An attorney has not yet been appointed.
When asked about Payne being charged with manslaughter on what could possibly have been an accident, Davis told the publication, “The charge ain’t the problem. It’s losing the children that’s the problem. That’s the horrible thing.”
Stolen Lives - Celebrity Accidental Deaths
1. Charmayne Maxwell1 of 23
2. Lisa Lopes2 of 23
3. Paul Walker3 of 23
4. Artist Jean-Michel Basquiat died at age 27 from a cocaine-heroin overdose. AP4 of 23
5. Whitney Houston died in February of this year at age 48 by drowning. (AP)5 of 23
6. Michael Jackson died from cardiac arrest caused from a lethal dose of propofol.6 of 23
7. Dinah Washington died at age 39 from an accidental overdose of Rx drugs. AP7 of 23
8. Gerald Levert died at age 40 of an overdose of Rx drugs. (AP)8 of 23
9. Amy Winehouse died in July of 2011 at age 27 of alcohol poisoning. (AP)9 of 23
10. Bruce Lee died in 1973 at the age of 33 from a reaction to a pain killer. (AP)10 of 23
11. Brandon Lee died in 1993 during the filming of 'The Crow' at age 28. (AP)11 of 23
12. Marilyn Monroe died in 1962 at age of 36 of a drug overdose. (AP)12 of 23
13. Jimi Hendrix died in 1970 at the age of 27 of a drug overdose. (AP)13 of 23
14. Rapper Chris Kelly of the group Kris Kross died of a suspected cocaine/heroine overdose in 2013. (AP)14 of 23
15. Russell Jones, aka Ol' Dirty Bastard, died in 2004 at age 35. (AP)15 of 23
16. Anna Nicole Smith died at age 39 from a Rx drug overdose. (AP)16 of 23
17. Rapper Chad Butler, aka Pimp C, died in 2007 at age 33 of a Rx overdose. (AP)17 of 23
18. Heath Ledger died in 2008 at age 28 of an accidental Rx overdose. (AP)18 of 23
19. Rob Pilatus of Milli Vanilli died in 1998 at age 33 of an overdose. (AP)19 of 23
20. DJ Screw's death was an accidental codeine overdose. (AP)20 of 23
21. Brittany Murphy died in 2009 at age 32 of mulitiple drug intoxication. (AP)21 of 23
22. Janis Joplin died in 1970 at the age of 27 of a herion overdose. (AP)22 of 23
23. Elvis Presley died in 1977 at age 42 of cardiac arrhythmia by years of drug use.23 of 23
Two Boys Died In An SUV That Rolled Into A Creek While Their Mom Was In A Store was originally published on blackamericaweb.com