Whoever said “a hero ain’t nothing but a sandwich” was dead wrong!
Detroit senior housing facility handyman, Philip Wilson (pictured), saved an elderly woman’s life after a fire started in her apartment when she fell asleep while cooking, according to My Fox Detroit.
Fire investigators have assessed that the fire began in the unidentified senior’s 18th floor apartment Tuesday night. Officials said that the woman would have died had it not been for Wilson’s heroics. The woman, who lived alone and who had been occupying the residence for just one month, fell asleep as she was preparing a meal. A fire ignited in her kitchen and smoke quickly filled her apartment, spilling out into the building’s hallways.
Wilson had been on duty at the building and was summoned to the 18th floor to determine the source of the smoke. According to the worker, he saw the tenant’s door handle slightly jiggle, so he knew the woman was still alive. Not giving it a second thought, Wilson sprung into action, knowing that he had to knock the woman’s door down to save her.
“Three kicks and maybe about 10 [pushes with the] shoulders, you know, the door was pretty tough. … I saw the lady crawling out on her knees and she reached out and I grabbed her arm and pulled her out,” Wilson said.
Four elderly tenants, including the woman whose apartment was engulfed in fire, were rushed to a nearby hospital for treatment; one of the victims is 102-years-old.
Detroit Handyman Saves Elderly Woman From Apartment Fire was originally published on newsone.com