Authorities released the audio of the 911 call placed to authorities on the night of actress Demi Moore’s hospitalization last Friday, and if the friend on the phone is a reliable source, it appears Demi’s hospitalization was required because she had smoked some unnamed substance.
The 911 call lasted close to 10 minutes. There was some confusion at first, including which jurisdiction to direct the call to. Portions of the conversation between the initial 911 caller and the 911 operator went as follows:
Friend:“We need an ambulance here as soon as possible. She smoked something, it’s not marijuana, but it’s similar to incense, and she seems to be having convulsions of some sort.”
911 operator: “Is she breathing?”
Friend:“Is she breathing, yes.”
911 operator: “Did she overdose on …”
911 operator: “… Was this accidentally or intentional?”
Friend:“Well, she smoked something but the reaction was accidental.”
The original caller later handed the phone to another woman, who told the 911 operator that Moore was “sort of shaking, convulsing, burning up.” She added, “I think she smoked something, I didn’t really see. She’s been having some issues lately with some other stuff. I don’t really know what she’s been taking or not.”
It’s unclear if “some other stuff” refers to personal issues, or other controlled substances. Demi Moore once had a history of substance abuse, but that was long ago.
When the 911 operator asked the woman if Moore had similar problems previously, the woman responded, somewhat vaguely, “I don’t know. There’s been some stuff recently that we’re all just finding out.”
Near the end of the 911 tape, the phone is handed to a man, who said Demi Moore was “breathing fine. She’s not convulsing and she’s breathing fine. She seems very calm. She leaned up and started talking quietly.”
While Moore’s friends don’t say exactly what she smoked, an increasingly popular drug known as Spice is sometimes labeled as “herbal incense.”
Spice is a synthetic cannabis drug and also called K2. It’s sold in small packets over the Internet, in smoke shops and at convenience stores. The packaging sometimes reads “not for human consumption” to conceal its purpose.
The adverse health effects associated with synthetic marijuana include anxiety, vomiting, racing heartbeat, seizures, hallucinations, and paranoid behavior.
On Tuesday, Moore’s publicist, Carrie Gordon, said Demi was being treated for exhaustion. “Because of the stresses in her life right now, Demi has chosen to seek professional assistance to treat her exhaustion and improve her overall health. She looks forward to getting well and is grateful for the support of her family and friends.”
However, an earlier source reported that Demi Moore’s collapse and subsequent hospitalization was due to the abuse of “whip-its.” “Whip-its” are recreational hits of nitrous oxide, otherwise known as laughing gas.
“Whip-its” – street jargon for hits of nitrous oxide, can be obtained from small amounts of aerosol propellant in products like whipping cream, hence its name.
The additional information in the 911 call seems to indicate Moore was also smoking something, as well.