A serial butt-slasher who has menaced female shoppers across a Virginia county is a bigger pain in the backside than first thought.
Three more victims came forward to police in Fairfax County Thursday and said they were victims of the derrière-targeting slasher – bringing his total number of victims to 9.
“It’s not surprising that people didn’t report it back in February or whenever it took place, because many of these girls are 15, 16-years-old, and didn’t realize that it was something that needed police involvement,” police spokeswoman Lucy Caldwell said.
In each case, police say the slasher targeted women in their teens or early twenties who were shopping in retail stores. Police say he distracts his victims, slashes at their buttocks with a box cutter and takes off running.
The last known attack was on July 25 at the Fair Oaks Mall.
Police released surveillance-video footage of a man identified as a possible suspect in one of the attacks. He’s described as a heavyset Latino in his late 20s who stands about 5-foot-6.
A former FBI profiler told Virginia’s News & Messenger last month that there is a danger the serial attacker could become more violent.
“The dangerous thing here is he’s actually hurting women,” Gregg McCrary told the newspaper. “He’s already crossed that threshold into physical contact.”
“But this is a good-news-bad-news situation,” he added. “He’ll just keep doing this until he’s caught; and by keeping on doing this, he’ll be caught.”